Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Upgrade!


Neener, neener. I get T1 Speed!

Earlier today my sister called me. I asked her if she was back online yet and she told me no. Then she said that she wanted SBC Yahoo! DSL like I've got and that she wasn't going to sign up for anything else until she got it. After she said that I told her I would check the prices to see if she could qualify for the Free Modem and Activation. I went to the SBC Yahoo! DSL promotion site..

When I got there the page had changed a little from when I signed up in November. Their DSL package tiers were different. Instead of the four tiered system they had before there were only two tiers:

Up to 1.5Mbps = $26.95/month

Up to 3.0Mbps = $39.95/month

So I kind of freaked out for a minute.. I was locked into a 12 month contract paying $26.95/month for speeds up to 384kbps. This didn't really seem fair. Especially since they didn't notify me of this new promotion.

For people who don't know, 1.5Mbps = 1464.8 kbps

That's more than THREE times faster than my current speed, almost four times, and all for the same price I'm paying now. What a travesty! I couldn't just sit on that information. I acted immediately after my sister was done jabbering.

I called SBC. Found the Billing Department from the menu system and told them that we should be getting the 1.5Mbps deal. The lady on the other end agreed and started setting it up.

There was only one small catch. I had to extend the 12 month contract. Which isn't a big deal since we'd only had this current promotion for about 3 months. Our current contract will end March 2nd and the new one will start the same day. We will not be charged an early disconnection fee as a result of the termination of our November contract.

I'm pretty excited. Sometime within the next week or so my Internet connection will become up to 1080.8kbps faster. There won't be a streaming music or movie station safe from my wrath for a long time to come.

No comments: