Sunday, May 22, 2005

CD-R Dye Types



I was sitting here and for some reason I thought about the dye they use inside of CD-R discs. I figured that one type of dye must be better than the other types. So I searched for CDR dye type with Google. The very first result had a whole lot of stuff about the different types.

After reading the article at CD Meida World I decided that Phthalocyanine dyes made for the best discs. They're the discs that look Gold on the bottom. According to this (shareholder information?) that I found at the Data Storage Associates' website those Golden discs will last more than 100 years. The average store bought CD will only last 5 - 25 years.

Sorry I just thought that was interesting and wanted to share it. If anyone cares about their CD collection they might think about getting some Phthalocyanine CD-R discs. I'm going to see if I can find any place that sells them cheap.

Data Storage Associates - Quality Media

No comments: